Sunday, April 3, 2011

Worth Waiting For?

I have a divorced male friend who is an amazing man.  He loves the Lord passionately, is a great dad to his kids, and is responsible, funny, kind, generous, and to top it all off, sexy.  My kids like him and have suggested that I should have a romantic relationship with him, and I would agree, but for one thing: he has no room for a woman in his life right now.

My friend has major baggage.  His ex-wfie cheated on him, so he has trust issues.  She left him in debt, so he has to work long and hard to pay the bills.  She has abandoned their kids, so he is a full-time dad. 

Oddly enough, I think his luggage matches mine in many ways.  My ex-husband cheated on me, so I have cynicism issues.  He left me in debt (I just found out that his refusal to pay off a debt he was ordered by the court to pay cuts off one very good funding source for me to go to school).  My ex has seen his kids once in the past year, so I am a full-time mom....24/7/365.

I have prayed for and about this friend often lately, and I have the distinct impression that I am to be an instrument of healing in his life.  I don't know exactly how God will use me, but I feel fairly sure that He plans to.

I also have a strong attraction to my friend.  At this point in my life, he is the ONLY single man I know whom I would consider dating. 

So my quandry is this:  How do I know if he is worth waiting for?  And would I be wasting time if I waited and he is never ready or he meets someone else in the meantime?

Comments?

5 comments:

Regina said...

If it were me in your shoes, I would bluntly ask God to answer your questions in a very specific and personal way where only you and He knows without a shadow of a doubt that this is His will.

Loving Our Homeschool said...

I don't think anyone but you and God can truly answer the question of whether or not he's worth waiting for or if you'd be wasting your time if you did. Praying that you have a clear path in front of you but knowing that God doesn't always work that way! His ways are not our ways.

Monica Lynn Frances Dunlap said...

i agree with everyone else but also... you obviously already think he is worth the wait. and from what i know i can agree that he is worth the wait.

0 said...

At this point I think I would just pray fervently for discernment. If this is meant to be, God will open doors, create opportunities, open this man's heart to healing.

It's been my experience that when I'm on the right track, things will flow naturally. But when I take steps towards something that isn't in God's plans, I tend to encounter obstacles from the start. (Don't think this has stopped me though)

Denise Houser said...

Thank you everyone!

Julia, I love your last comment about it not stopping you, and I am right there with you! That's why I worry that I may be a bull in a china shop on this one, since that is my human nature. But I am trying hard to let the Holy Spirit produce some fruit in me...thinking gentleness, patience, and self-control would be welcome about now, LOL!