Friday, April 22, 2011

Not Giving Up

 Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.  (Gal. 6:9-10, NIV)

I am weary.

Some of my weariness, I'm sure, is the physical weariness of not getting enough sleep.  I have had to get up relatively early every day this week, and my sleep has been interrupted, possibly because I am all out of my allergy meds.  I've not been getting adequate exercise, due mainly to weather, which doesn't help, either.

Some of it is emotional.  For whatever reason, I have been on edge emotionally lately.  Friendships that normally encourage have felt draining lately, and some of my closest friends, who tend to energize me by helping me to make sense of events in my life, have been incommunicado, busy with their own lives.

Some of it is mental.  I have been puzzling over my future, seeking God's plans and the way He wants me to carry them out.  While I don't worry about the future, I do realize that I have a responsibility to keep moving in the direction He has called me to go, and sometimes that is hard work mentally.

Some of my weariness is spiritual.  I have been trying to practice the spiritual disciplines we have studied so far in Sunday School (meditation, prayer, fasting), and while two of those were already a part of my spiritual walk, I have been trying to be more deliberate about them and trying new approaches.  Additionally, there are several things that I have been seeking God's direction on.

I am going to try to get a little more sleep, and a little more exercise.  I will continue trying to connect with my friends.  I will try to be more organized in my journey toward the things God has called me to.  And I will try to relax and allow God to refresh me as I pray and meditate.  (That sounds funny, since prayer and meditation should probably be relaxing, right?)

But above all, I need to hang onto the promise that I will reap a harvest at the proper time if  I don't give up.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Denise,
Hang in there. God knows all you do for Him. Working for Him is one of the hardest and most draining things we can experience but the blessings that follow are always amazing. Keep climbing up the mountain. I am always around if you need me to be. Even if just a text. Follow that key verse you posted, it is such an encouraging verse. You know it has been one I have been clinging to lately myself.