Thursday, June 23, 2011

Attitude Adjustment

Have you ever had one of those moments when you realize that you are guilty of the same thing you faulted someone else for?

A while ago, I gently chided a male friend for lumping all women into one category and not trusting any of them.

Yesterday, it hit me that I am just as bad.  I tend to lump all men into the same category and expect them to disappoint me.

I realize that these are lessons we have learned through experience,  and obviously my friend has had at least one and possibly many experiences where women proved to be untrustworthy.  I have had many experiences where men said they'd do something, then never carried through, leaving me disappointed.

But a funny thing happened.  The friend who doesn't trust women promised to fix something for me.  And he did, in a timely fashion, no less.  So it seems that some men can be trusted not to disappoint, to carry through on their word. 

I am working on adjusting my assumptions about men disappointing me.  I hope my friend has some positive experiences so he can adjust his thinking about women being untrustworthy.

How do you need to adjust your thinking about the opposite sex?

No comments: