Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Greater Than One

One of the ways that I have found that I can tell if God is trying to tell me something is if certain "themes" come up repeatedly in a short period of time. 

The lastest incident of a theme that has shown up repeatedly is that of needing others.  In fact, tonight I saw two posts on Facebook, which is by no means scripture, but I imagine God can speak through it, just like He could speak through a burning bush and some rather interesting prophets....I mean, some of them ate BUGS!  I don't think any of my friends on Facebook eat bugs. 

Anyhow, first my pastor posted a link to Jars of Clay's song "Work," which asks the question,  Do you know what I mean when I say, "I don't want to be alone"?
Then a friend posted the following status:

We all need a close friend, somebody we can attach ourselves to whenever the attack comes. Don't try to fight it alone. None of us should say, "I don't need anyone else."

This called to mind the following passage in Ecclesiastes 4:9-12:

Two are better than one,
because they have a good return for their labor:
If either of them falls down,
one can help the other up.
But pity anyone who falls
and has no one to help them up.
Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm.
But how can one keep warm alone?
Though one may be overpowered,
two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.


This is it:  the longing in my heart to be connected, to have a partner, someone who with me and God will form that cord of three strands, will defend me, keep me warm, help me up when I fall, and work alongside me. 

The hard part for me, the part I am working on, is learning to ask for help, to allow myself to be vulnerable enough to admit that I need someone else.  I'm making progress, but this is something new for me.  My nature is to be as self-reliant as I can.

Lord, break down my pride and fear so that I can be in a relationship where I am vulnerable, where I can admit that I need someone, that I can't do it all by myself! 

No comments: