Saturday, July 9, 2011

Learning to Like Men

I have an accquaintance who has told me on several occasions that I don't like men.  I am not sure I agree with his assessment, so I have been doing some self-examination, and this is my conclusion:

I do like men.  I just don't have very high expectations for them, based on past disappointments, and I struggle to respect many men, because they act in ways that I consider dishonorable or weak.

How do I change that view of men?  I supect that there are no books that can change my views.  Talking to a counselor might help, although I wonder how a counselor could convince me of something that is directly opposed to what I have seen and experienced?

Honestly, I don't believe that ALL men are going to disappoint me.  If I believed that, I would have no interest in ever being in another relationship with a man.  I have also met some men who are very honorable, strong Christian men for whom I have a lot of respect.

Will time spent observing and being friends with these respectable men eventually change my attitude?  And does my attitude need to change before I get involved with anyone else? 

I think, although I may be mistaken, that being aware of this issue may be enough for now.  I also think that I need to grow in the area of grace, so that I might extend grace to the imperfect men in my life.  And I can hope that time truly does heal all wounds, so that someday, nobody will have reason to believe that I don't like men.

No comments: